CL4STEM Project equips STEM teachers with innovative teaching techniques

To enhance knowledge and skills in teaching STEM subjects amongst science and mathematics teachers, they are being equipped with the latest teaching techniques and the use of ICT tools. This is done through the Connected Learning for STEM project. For this, the Samtse College of Education in collaboration with the Education and Skills Development Ministry trained teachers from various schools for the last two days.

Connected Learning for STEM or CL4STEM training is aimed at making science and mathematics education both interactive and enjoyable through the incorporation of ICT as a teaching and learning tool. It is also to create inclusive teaching and learning environments in schools and ultimately interest the students in learning scientific knowledge and skills.

The diverse methods of teaching lessons in the class make teachers understand complex concepts, which in turn makes learning engaging and interactive for students.

Phuntsho Choden, a teacher from Dechencholing HSS in Thimphu said, “I think this workshop is happening at the right time for the 21st century learners. Through this workshop, I feel that I will be equipped with so many strategies to help my learners understand better.”

“The teachers will have to apply the knowledge and skills they have gained during the Professional Development workshop at their respective schools.  The main objective of this project is to help STEM teachers change their attitudes and enhance their knowledge and practices with the help of the frameworks. The frameworks are Subject Matter Knowledge, Pedagogical Content Knowledge and General Pedagogical Knowledge,” said Reeta Rai (PhD), the Country Coordinator for the CL4STEM Project.

Once they get back to their schools, the teachers will have to make use of CL4STEM Open Educational Resources (OERs) based modules developed by the Samtse College of Education.  The modules require teachers to have uninterrupted internet connections, computers, laptops, projectors and mobile phones to cater to the different needs of the students and help students grasp the concepts.

Some teachers shared that the lack of such facilities in Bhutan could be a challenge.

“We will be facing challenges in school. Mainly because we do not have access to enough computers and gadgets. Gadgets are not freely available and allowed in schools. Another one is the internet speed. The internet in some schools is slow,” said Sherkar Nath Mishra, a teacher from Kuzhugchen MSS in Thimphu.

Some 160 teachers from across the country were trained in Thimphu, Phuentshogling and Trashigang simultaneously for the last two days.

The project is funded by the International Development Research Centre in Canada.

Interns (Pema Wangmo and Pema Seldon)

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube