Wearing facemasks made mandatory at Phuentshogling Pedestrian Terminal

Wearing facemasks is now mandatory for all individuals entering and exiting the Pedestrian Terminal in Phuentshogling. While some have applauded the move, the decision which many claimed sudden and unexpected has also left a few residents worried. The new rule was implemented yesterday (23rd December).

Just like any other day, hundreds of people could be seen gathering at the Pedestrian Terminal area in Phuentshogling today to visit Jaigaon for various purposes. But to their surprise, those not wearing facemasks were refused entry at the terminal.

There were no protocols to wear facemasks compulsorily to enter Jaigaon until the day before yesterday.

While some had their facemask along with them, a few made a quick visit to the nearby Pan shops to buy facemasks.

“We are asked to wear facemasks all of a sudden and this is worrying me. I am a bit scared as well. That is why I have come here and bought a facemask to go to Jaigaon,” said Karma Loday.

“I wanted to go to Jaigaon to buy some stuff but as soon as I reached the pedestrian terminal, I was asked to wear a mask. I am worried that a new variant of covid-19 has reached Jaigaon,” said another Phuentshogling resident, Ngawang Tshering. “I bought a mouth cover but I am now hesitant to visit Jaigaon.”

Meanwhile, it was a good day for the shops located nearby the pedestrian terminal area. Most of them saw a good number of customers rushing to their shops just to buy the otherwise forgotten facemask.

“Usually not many people come here to buy mouth covers. We open a packet of facemasks and hang it here for sale but we can only sell half of them. But today there were a lot of them coming to buy mouth covers in the early morning. So far, I have sold about 6 packets of the facemask,” said Dophu who runs a Doma shop near the terminal.

As per the officials on duty, the move is a precautionary measure given the rising cases in China mainly driven by the new variant of coronavirus, which has been detected in India too.

However, for now, there has been no official circular or notification reinstating the need for the mandatory wearing of facemasks from anyone.

A minimum of five to 6,000 people both from Bhutan and India cross the Pedestrian Terminal every day. The number further increases during weekends and holidays.

Passang Dorji, Phuentshogling

Edited by Yeshi Gyaltshen

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube