Opening doors to employment

Training could be a gateway to lots of opportunities. And this is exactly what the participants of the recent Capacity Development Training for Youth in Gelegphu consider. Themed ‘Choose your Pathway’, the five-day training familiarized some 30 participants on basic soft skills to hunt for employment.

Mostly from Serzhong, Chhuzanggang and Umling Gewogs, the youth remain idle at home. They have neither been able to pursue further studies nor find a job. Therefore, aimed at imparting soft skills on interacting with employers and financial institutions, the Youth Friendly Integrated Service Centre in Gelegphu brought them together.

According to the Manager of the centre, Chandra Subba, at first, they didn’t even know the differences between job and employment. But now they do.

“Now, they are more into creating self-employment and this is the training’s biggest achievement,” he said.

The training could be a landmark for their U-turn as many are now thinking about taking up any jobs, or start entrepreneurship.

One of the participants, Dechen Pem, said after the training, she understood the advantages of working in the private sector.

“Before, I wasn’t aware of employment platforms different agencies provide. But after the training, not only I came to know about these, I am also aware of financial support we could get to begin our own enterprise,” she added.

Acknowledging that Bhutan has been running short of labourers after the pandemic, another participant, Dorji Wangchuk, said that taking up jobs could resolve unemployment issues in the country.

UNICEF Bhutan supported the training.

Karma Wangdi, Gelegphu

Edited by Chayku

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram