PM gets Moderna for second dose

As the nation gears for the second nationwide vaccine rollout next Tuesday, the Prime Minister, leading a team of volunteers received Moderna vaccine as the second dose of vaccination today. Prime Minister took the vaccine ahead of the nationwide rollout to share the experience as the Moderna vaccine is being used for the first time in the country. 

Addressing the nation after the vaccination, the Prime Minister said emerging research has pointed out better efficacy for those who have received Moderna as a second dose.

“We are explaining to the people that using AstraZeneca for the first dose and using either Moderna or Pfizer vaccine for the second dose will give better immunity protection. If you want stronger immunity then it will be better to receive Moderna,” said the Prime Minister.

The initial plan was to give the jab to about fifty volunteers and some with underlying medical conditions. But some 600 people ended up getting the second jab.

“I feel that for a transplant patient like us and people with a medical condition, we should go ahead and have this vaccine. In addition, for the general public also we should be very excited because we have the opportunity to have so many options such as AstraZeneca, Moderna, and Pfizer. I think this is the biggest opportunity we have in hand to fight against this pandemic,” said Kinley Wangchuk, National Assembly’s Athang Thedtsho MP.

“We are very thankful for the vaccine. We have been praying for the vaccine as we cannot fight against the virus if we don’t get it. Now, I have received the second dose, I would like to thank both His Majesty The King and His Majesty The Fourth Druk Gyalpo and pray for their wellbeing,” said Phurba Gyeltshen, a volunteer.

“I feel very happy receiving the second dose today. It not only protects oneself from the virus but shows the unity of our country. This is an opportunity to prove our loyalties to the nation. If we get the jab, we will be achieving His Majesty’s aspiration and protect our country and loved ones from the virus,” said Jambay Dorji, another volunteer.

So far, Bhutan has 500,000 doses of Moderna received through the COVAX facility in the US, 121,900 AstraZeneca from Denmark, 5,850 doses of Pfizer and 50,000 doses of Sinopharm.

Bhutan is yet to receive 128,100 doses of AstraZeneca from Denmark and some more doses from Croatia, Bulgaria and a few other countries. In addition, the country has about sixty-two thousand AstraZeneca vaccines from the remaining first dose.

The health ministry has identified one thousand two hundred vaccination sites for the second nationwide vaccination rollout.

Kinzang Lhadon

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube