English | Dzongkha Tuesday, October 24, 2017

BPC technician electrocuted during maintenance


Aug 12, 2015

BPC technician electrocuted during maintenance A 36-year-old Bhutan Power Corporation’s technician was electrocuted while trying to repair an electric transformer in Urug Village under Chhumig Gewog, Bumthang. He was thrown off the electric distribution substation at around 11:50 AM, yesterday.

He succumbed to head injury 20 minutes later after he was brought to Chhumig Basic Health Unit.

BPC’s Senior Manager, Gyeltshen said the technician was about to tighten his harness belt when he was electrocuted. He also maintains they had taken all precautions and the power was turned off during the time of maintenance.

A semso of Nu 10,000 was handed over to the deceased family by the Bumthang Kidu office.

5 Comments for “BPC technician electrocuted during maintenance”

  1. jigme

    If the power was turned off & other precautionary measures were taken, then how a person can be electrocuted? Failed to understand.

  2. Tshering

    If the power line is off, then how the technician was electrocuted ? ???

  3. sonam

    That is not acceptable/justifiable excuse. It just does not add up. Its I time Bhutan in general, and BPC in particular have a stringent work safety regulations. And accordingly inculcate the safety culture to every people in the field. A simple test such as Test for Dead (TFD) before commencing the job could have saved his life. Not following safety precautions and rules should be made punishable by law.
    I hope this is does not happen again.

  4. Sonam

    Several similar accidents have been reported in the past. What has BPC learnt from those incidences and what measures were taken. People’s lives are at stake and its high time that people and organizations are held accountable for sheer negligence.

  5. Karma wangchuk

    Dear all

    Be carefully while working

Leave a Reply

*


− two = 4

Copyright © 2017 BBSC.