When mortals fear the wrath of deities

Heavy-Rainfall-Maize-LhuentseIt is the wrath of our deity, they said. The disaster is a consequence they are suffering for failing to appease their local deity, the villagers believe.

Heavy rainfall on May 9 and May 11 of this month destroyed some 25 acres of maize fields in Oong-gar village of Maedtsho Gewog in Lhuentse. The damage has affected at least 20 households.

Some villagers believe that this happened after the village missed its annual ritual.

Oong-gar village conducts an annual week-long Rimdro for their local deity. But, this year, following the Election Commission’s notification, they could not organize large religious gatherings, the Rimdro was not held.

Lhendup Dem, a village elder, said the torrential downpour may not be the only expression of disappointment by their deity.

“The rain drops were big. Houses were shaking. We were scared. We didn’t even go out that time.”

Another villager, Tobgay, believes his land will become fertile again if he does not give up on it. But when digging, his weather-beaten face cannot hide the sorrow of losing his crops to a force beyond his control.

[media id=478 width=320 height=260]

“I don’t know what to do now, a year’s hard work has been washed away by the rain just like that. I don’t know what I will feed my family. Nothing can be done, and it is too late for another round of maize cultivation.”

The heavy downpour has smothered Paddy fields with sand. Paddy plantation is out of the question for villagers.

Lhendup Dem, and a few other village elders had tried to perform the Rimdro on Tuesday but Election officials in Lhuentse had stopped them.

The ECB’s national observer in the dzongkhag, Pelden Dorji, said there are four political parties, and if anyone goes ahead with the Rimdro, any of the parties could take issue with the people or us.

The two main organisers, including Lhendup Dem have agreed not to do the Rimdro until after the elections. But, they fear disasters could strike again unless their local deity is appeased.

Top Stories

Related Stories

15 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube