Artwork through the lens of women and children to mark World Environment Day

World Environment Day is an annual event that brings together millions of people from around the world to raise awareness and take action to protect the environment. To highlight this year’s theme “Beat Plastic Waste” through the lens of women and children in the form of artwork, Save the Children in collaboration with VAST and World Wildlife Fund WWF inaugurated two exhibitions featuring both “Her Expression” and Children’s artwork in the capital today.

A group of 20 students, including children with disabilities from Changangkha Middle Secondary School took part in an art workshop conducted at VAST.

The event encouraged children to showcase their understanding of the importance of environmental conservation.

To mark the day, the children also painted a mural on a giant canvas to create a picture of the environment further depicting their awareness of the environment and plastic management.

“As we celebrate World Environment Day today, the children will portray their understanding of the environment based on the theme of “solution to plastic pollution” in the form of art,” said Deepika Adhikari, advocacy and communications coordinator, Save the Children.

Likewise, an all-women artwork called “Her Expression” was unveiled yesterday to encourage women artists to step forward who often remain overshadowed by their male counterparts.

And to mark World Environment Day this year, 30 women through their artwork encouraged their active role in promoting awareness regarding environmental preservation and sustainable methods.

“Since this year’s theme for the exhibition is celebrating women for the environment, not just putting up trash on my painting, I just wanted to give a brighter view of how it would look if our environment is green and clean. So, I just wanted to show my character Karma in a very peaceful and green environment,” said Sonam Deki, VAST artist.

The exhibition will be open to the public for a month.

The first celebration of World Environment Day took place in 1973, under the theme ’Only One Earth”, and it has been held annually on 5th June since then.

Tshering Deki

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube