From tour guide to poultry owner: Cheki’s journey in broiler farming

In Pema Gatshel, a former tour guide has discovered a new passion and purpose as the owner of a broiler chicken farm at Durungri of Dungmin Gewog. With 500 chicks initially bought with the help of the Big-Ticket Project, he set out to not only create employment opportunities but also contribute to import substitution.

In his early 30s, Cheki Dorji ventured into poultry farming in 2021 amidst the challenges brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic. Cheki decided to embark on a different path by establishing his own broiler farm in his village.

But his journey was not without obstacles. Cheki encountered difficulties in finding a reliable market for his broiler chickens.

“After the outbreak of Covid-19 in the country, I left the tourism industry and came to my village. I started this broiler farm with 500 chicks in 2021. But I had to bear a huge loss as I couldn’t find a good market amid the pandemic,” said Cheki.

However, the recent collaborative efforts with meat vendors in the district have eased some of these concerns, allowing him to focus on expanding his farm.

“Initially, I struggled to find customers. But in our recent consultation meeting with meat vendors, we managed to come to an agreement on prices. This breakthrough gave me hope and reassurance, knowing that I have finally found a reliable market.”

Looking at the future, Cheki holds on to ambitious dreams. He is awaiting the second budget release which will provide the necessary funds to expand his farm.

“Today, my farm can house 1,500 chicks. I am awaiting the fund from Big-Ticket Project. By July, I will be getting the fund and with that, I am planning to expand my farm.”

Investing over Nu 250,000, he now tends to 1,300 broiler chickens on his farm. The district livestock sector facilitates the supply of chicks and feeds.

Thinley Dorji, Pema Gatshel

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube