AI in Education: Transforming learning with ChatGPT

The introduction of the ChatGPT around November last year was a game changer around the globe. ChatGPT is an Artificial Intelligence, AI chatbot technology founded by the company OpenAI which can write essays, scripts, and poems and solve computer coding in a human-like way. It can even have conversations and admit mistakes. In this story, our reporter Sonam Yuden explores how ChatGPT is revolutionising the way students and teachers learn and teach in the country and shaping the future of education.

Like most classrooms around the world, AI chatbots have become invaluable tools for teachers like Sonam Choenjur, who incorporates ChatGPT into various aspects of his work.

“ChatGPT has been part of my professional as well as personal work. I use ChatGPT in lesson planning, making assessment criteria, and developing presentation outlines. I also use it for reviewing personal write up and developing test questions and worksheets. And sometimes I use it for coding,” said Sonam Choenjur, a teacher of Zilukha MSS.

Students, too, are benefiting from the integration of ChatGPT in their academic pursuits.

“When ChatGPT first came out, it amazed me. So, when I decided to try it I was flabbergasted by all its properties and advantages. It could answer anything that we wanted. It could also translate English to Dzongkha which was the biggest shock to me,” said Dechen Ninzie Lhamo, a student of Motithang HSS.

“I use ChatGPT for academic purposes whenever I am doing research or project works and answering questions such as CBQ and even when I am learning co-curricular projects and activities. I use ChatGPT for such purposes,” said Roshan Dahal, another student of Motithang HSS.

While the advantages of AI chatbots in the education system are clear, teachers and students alike express concerns about over-reliance and dependency on these technologies.

“We have to know how to live with it. Anything more is dangerous. Similarly, this AI is good that it has come up and that our students are well aware of because the students can take the most out of it. So, what we have to teach in the school is how to use it. The dependency factor I think we have to take care of it,” said Sonam Zangmo, a teacher at Yangchenphu HSS.

“Some of the downside I see while using such chatbots would be that few students and whoever uses it will become extremely dependent on that,” said Roshan Dahal.

Meanwhile, Education Minister Jai Bir Rai emphasised that AI including ChatGPT is a blessing for the education system. However, he stressed the importance of responsible use.

“ChatGPT has leveraged our children in understanding, learning, learning capability and also trying to find alternative solutions and views to the same problem. As I said, how one uses that is very important. For example, if someone is using it for a negative purpose, then it will give negative guidance and negative results. If someone is using it for a positive purpose, then it will give a positive result.”

The Department of School Education is working towards incorporating AI in the teaching and learning process. According to the Department, they have been encouraging teachers to use it for assessment and teaching strategies.

According to chatbot statistics 2023, roughly 1.5 billion people are using Chat GPT across the world.

As AI chatbots like Chat GPT are becoming an integral part of education, they hold immense potential to transform teaching and learning. Striking the right balance will shape the future of education.

Sonam Yuden

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube