A boon called community forest

Community forest is changing the lives of rural people for better. This was clear, this morning when a group of Choekhor Community Forestry members of Kawang Gewog in Thimphu, pocketed a decent amount from the sale of timber.

The bonus was collected, over the last one year, through the sale of timber either wind fallen or uprooted in community forest overlooking Choekhor villag, a 30 minute drive from Thimphu town.

“The money I get will enable me to buy rice cookers, mattresses and other essential items I want at home,” said Gyem from Choekhor village.

Another villager, Dawa Tshering said the cash income is hard to come in the villages.  “Community forestry has become one of our income sources. It has even enabled us to save money.” Some said they will use the money to fund their children’s education.

The chairperson of Choekhor Community Forest, Namgay, said the community forest not only helps combat poverty in the rural pockets of the country but also contributes towards forest conservation. “Over the years, through participation from the community, the conservation works have improved. People are beginning to realise the importance of community forests. It has empowered our people.”

Today, the members have over Nu. 200,000 in their bank account accumulated from past three years. The fund is collectively used for improving the community forests.

“The money that is in our account is used to pay the community we hire. And this fund can be also used to pay people who help to douse forest fire,” said Choekhor Community Forest Fund’s Treasurer, Nidup Namgyel.

The Choekhor Community Forest, which was established in 2008, spreads across an area of 110 acres. It is one of the 16 community forests approved under Thimphu Dzongkhag.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube