Setting an example

Many full-time-mothers whose children are studying at Rinchen Kuenphen Primary school in Thimphu have found productive ways to be involved in their children’s lives. Every day, in between dropping off their children to school and waiting for them till their classes are over, these mothers clean the school campus.

Pema Lhazom is one of the regular helpers. Both her children are studying in Rinchen Kuenphen. “I come here everyone morning to drop my children and then stay with them the whole day. In between I also attend the Non Formal Education classes for two hours and after that I sweep the ground and see if the children are dressed properly,” she said.

Likewise Ugyen Peday and Tshering Zam grandmothers of two students in the school, help maintain the school’s garden. It is no trouble at all, they say. “The teachers haven’t asked us to do this but we are doing it on our own. I am doing it for my grandchildren’s sake,” said Ugyen Peday.

It is because of these mothers and grandmothers that children have easy access to clean water for washing. Most classrooms have jerry-cans right outside their classes. The jerry-cans were made by the mothers during their free time.

The School’s principal also acknowledges the efforts this group of women is making.

“They are making so much difference. Although in little ways their help is immense. Since we are primary school, our children are not strong enough to do the heavy works and that is where these mothers come in.” The Principal also said it is because of them why their school is one of the cleanest.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube