Canine Parvovirus outbreak in Paro

About ten cases of Canine Parvovirus have been reported every day at the Paro Veterinary Hospital since its outbreak about two weeks ago. And ten dogs have succumbed to the virus. Canine Parvovirus is a highly contagious virus that causes severe illness in young and unvaccinated dogs. But it is not infectious to humans and other domestic animals. 

The virus spreads through direct contact with an infected dog or by indirect contact with the contaminated object. The Dzongkhag veterinary hospital has been treating 40 dogs every day.

“My dog didn’t eat for two days and looked very weak. So, I brought my dog for a check-up,” said Phub Dorji.

“It is almost a week since my dog stopped eating properly. It sleeps all day. So, I brought her for a check-up,” said Pema.

Symptoms of Parvovirus include lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting and often bloody diarrhoea with fever. Officials said that vaccinating all pets and stray dogs would reduce the outbreak.

“There is no treatment as such for the virus once contracted. It will all depend on the body’s immune system and fight it on its own. Therefore, the chances of getting better are fifty-fifty. Like coronavirus vaccine, we have to give a primary vaccine and in 21 days a booster dose then we have to give the dose annually,” said Dr Tenzin Wangchuk, Veterinary Doctor.

Meanwhile, the officials have been trying to further contain the spread of the virus through the ongoing Accelerated Dog Population Management and Rabies Control Program’s campsite. The control program began last month.

According to Dog Population Management, Paro has over 8,000 dogs including pets and strays. Of which, nearly 1,500 are unsterilised.

Namgay Wangchuk, Paro

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube