Students in classes PP-VI return to schools in Phuentshogling

Schools in Phuentshogling reopened today to a scene of joy and relief as thousands of students of classes PP to VI returned to their classrooms. The students were studying remotely since the schools closed in April because of the lockdown. It has been nearly two months without community cases for COVID-19 in Phuentshogling.

The first day in school ends chaotic even in normal times. But not this year. Classes end at different times. Students whose classes ended are kept in line and handed over to their parents waiting outside the gate.  The school days to many looked different with COVID-19 protocols.

Namsam Dungmali, a student with Sonamgang Middle Secondary School said, “Today I did study Maths, Dzongkha and English. I also met my best friend Jamyang. I am happy that my teacher told me I am a good boy. At home, I feel lazy and I couldn’t study. At school, I am not at all lazy. I enjoy studying with my friends”

“For me, school is the best. At home, sometimes google meet doesn’t work well when the Internet is down. Today I am happy to meet those friends whom I missed dearly for these many days” added Kinley Rigsel Losel, a student with Phuentsholing Middle Secondary School.

Pema Selden, a parent said, “It is challenging for our children to study at home since we the parents are also not much educated”

“Our children keep asking about the opening of the school. They do not understand what we teach. Moreover, they don’t listen to us at home. In school, they listen to their teachers and understand the lessons more. So, I feel that children should study in classrooms” echoed another parent, Jigme Wangchuk.

Today, there are more than 2,500 students here.

While classes VII and VIII joined schools last month, classes IX to XII were moved to Punakha in August this year.

Sonam Penjor, Phuentshogling

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube