Toenpa Badge awarded to five scouts

Bhutan Scouts Association awarded Toenpa badge to five best youth scouts on 19th May 2019 in Tsirang. They were selected from over 150 scouts in schools across fourteen dzongkhags and three thromdes.

The most coveted Toenpa badge was awarded during the closing session of the second Kings Camp.

These Nazhoen scouts are the best ones selected from dzongkhag level. They have so far achieved badges or merits of Maogyelbu, Sharibu, and Kuengao. The final merit in the youth scouts is Toenpa and this camp comes only once in 4 years. The scouts undergo stiff competition in various domains such as physical, intellectual, emotional, social and spiritual developments. Apart from that, they were also observed for scouting skills and knowledge.

“The fact that they are in Kuengao Badge I think they have acquired adequate scouting knowledge and skills. But for Toenpa, only the best of the best are selected. And these scouts who did not get the badge also should exhibit qualities and skills of scouts such as being faithful and loyal. They should be the example, should be the role model in their school and in their community and to the scouts at large,” Pema Wangchuk, the Dy Chief Program Officer of Bhutan Scouts Association, said.

Scouts claimed this is once in a lifetime opportunity to take part in the camp. It is because after 18 years of age they cannot take part in Toenpa camp. They will automatically graduate into Rovers.

Scouts who participated in the camp told BBS that the experience and knowledge they gained will be very helpful in their lives.

“I am very happy, I made new friends, and I learned different gadgets. This is one time opportunity because the Toenpa badge comes only after four years. And to contest for this badge we have to spend over 10 years in scouts,” Tshering Yangdon, a Scout from Babesa High School in Thimphu, said.

Education Minister and other officials attending the closing ceremony lighted the Campfire marking the end of the camp. The Bhutan Scouts Association also recognised scout leaders for their services in the community and scout at large.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube