Bhutan expecting a semifinal finish at SAFF Championship

Bhutanese squad training at Bangkok, Thailand

The Bhutanese team led by head coach, Trevor Morgan, arrived in Bangladesh’s capital Dhaka yesterday ahead of the SAFF championship.

Bhutan is in group A along with host country Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Nepal.

The country’s opening match is against Bangladesh, who defeated Bhutan 3-1 at the Changlimithang in 2016 during the run-up to the AFC Cup qualifiers.

Head coach, Trevor Morgan, was quoted saying on the championship’s official website that the tournament will be a successful one for Bhutan if it makes to the semifinals.

He is also looking to bounce back from the two heavy friendly defeats suffered at the hands of the Maldives and Malaysia.

“The last two games were very disappointing and I know I am new to the players.”

Speaking to the Bhutan Football Federation (BFF), Morgan lamented the team’s lack of a leader.

“I don’t see too many people like that but that’s not an easy thing to have. Sometimes, when you are losing games, it is difficult to have that. We need people in the team who can rally the players and get the best out of them.”

Bhutan’s frontman, Chencho Gyeltshen, who plays for the Indian Super League outfit, Bengaluru FC, joined the Bhutanese national football squad in Bangkok, Thailand during their week-long training camp.

With several new players in the squad, Chencho, Karma Shedrup Tshering, and Tshering Dorji are some of the familiar faces.

The Bangabandhu National Stadium in Dhaka will host the match between Bhutan and Bangladesh tomorrow.

In the other group A encounter, Nepal will face Pakistan. Group B consists of defending champions India, Sri Lanka and the Maldives.

The final will be played on September 15.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube