Incessant rain affects paddy growers

Paddy growers are facing a tough time as continuous rain lashed in most parts of the country’s western and central regions causing damage to the matured crop ready for harvest. The continuous rain in the last two days has dashed the hopes of farmers.

It is the paddy harvest season and this is exactly what people had feared for; unseasonal rain damaging their hard work.

Dodo, 66, from Lungni Gewog had been looking over his paddy with pride. But within a few days after harvesting paddy from his two-acre land, his joy was destroyed along with his harvest.

The immediate thing he has been doing is draining out excess water from the field. He fears that if the rain lasts for another two to three days, the impact could be widespread.

“I fear that the paddy production would drop by half this time. If the weather improves by today, we can segregate the ones that are not affected. But if it continues then we wont be able to harvest any this year,” said Dodo.

“There is nothing we can do now. All we can do is make drains to drain out excess water. We were able to rescue some of the harvests,” said Tshering Zam, a farmer.

And the situation is similar in all the ten gewogs in Paro.

“It is our one year stock and the main source of income and now it is ruined. I can’t imagine the damage the rain has brought in. It saddens me,” said Lham, another farmer.

“I am little relieved as I could harvest half. But I am worried if the downpour continues,” said Gaki, a farmer from Lango Gewog.

Meanwhile, officials are assessing the damage.

“We have been continuously sensitizing people to insure their crops. But in Paro, no one has insured so far. However, our gewog agriculture extension officers are visiting every household to assess the damage. We will submit the report to the dzongkhag and the ministry,” said Tandin, the dzongkhag agriculture officer.

Similarly, the untimely rainfall wrecked havoc to paddy growers in Punakha, Wangdue Phodrang and Trongsa.

Meanwhile, the National Center for Hydrology and Meteorology forecasts light to moderate rainfall across the country tomorrow.

Namgay Wangchuk, Paro

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube