Biogas use gaining popularity in Pema Gatshel

A few years ago, five households of Bartseri in Pema Gatshel decided to try biogas. They were the first ones in the district to opt for the alternate source of clean energy. Today, looking back, the people say it has been a wise decision. 

For Sonam Deki, collecting cow dung and feeding them into the biogas digester has become a daily morning routine. Sonam’s family started using biogas from 2014 after her husband volunteered for the biogas masonry training conducted in the district.

“The tanks and other parts are in a good condition. They didn’t suffer damages so far. I only had to change the stove once. But even if the plant gets damaged, I will repair and continue using it,” said Sonam Deki.

Like Sonam, the other women from the households with biogas plants said there are many benefits of using biogas.

“Unlike LPG, we don’t have to spend a penny on biogas. Moreover, the dung can be used as manure,” she added.

“It involves some hard work while constructing a biogas plant. But after that, the benefits are many. We no longer refill our LPG cylinders frequently,” said Karma Yangden, a resident.

“I hardly refill my LPG cylinder once in a year. Besides, the risks from using biogas are lesser,” said Tshering Zangmo, another resident.

As per a record maintained with the Bhutan Biogas Project, in a year, a household using biogas can save some 2000 kilograms of firewood, more than 2500 litres of kerosene and about 1500 kilowatts of electricity.

Meanwhile, officials say biogas is gaining popularity in Pema Gatshel. Since the first plant in 2014, almost 400 biogas plants have been constructed in the district.

Thinley Dorji, Pema Gatshel

Edited by Sonam Wangdi

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube