Farmers expect a bountiful cardamom harvest- Patshaling in Tsirang

Cardamom growers of Patshaling Toed in Tsirang are expecting a bountiful harvest this year. They say timely rainfall during its flowering season has raised their expectations for a promising yield. The spice has become one of the main cash crops for them after orange trees started dying in the district.

Farmers there grow cardamom on a commercial scale since over a decade ago. Today, almost all fifty households in the chiwog grow cardamom as a cash crop along with vegetables.

While some farmers in the lower places have already finished harvesting, the remaining farmers in the higher places plan to do within this month.

“Last year, I have harvested 18 sacks of cardamom from 2.5-acre cardamom orchard and this year I am expecting around 40 sacks. The better production could be because of timely rainfall and our intensive care like weeding and proper nurturing,” said Tashi Dorji Sherpa, a farmer in Patshaling Toed.

“Many farmers from my chiwog say the harvest would be better this year compared to the previous year. The better production this time could be because of abundant rainfall this year,” added Yeshi Nidup Sherpa, the Patshaling Toed Tshogpa.

Their reason to rejoice is doubled just like the production as the market price also looks promising.

“Last year, we sold cardamom at Nu 500 a kilo but this year some vendors started placing orders promising to pay Nu 600 for a kilo. So we are happy with both cardamom production and price this year,” said Tshering Wangdi Sherpa.

As the returns from cardamom is better compared to other cash crops, all the farmers here are into cardamom growing. Time will tell if that was smart, but they will reap the rewards this season at least.

Pema Tshewang, Tsirang

Edited by Sonam

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube