‘Gowa’- connecting talents to labour market

What do we do if we fail our Civil Service Examinations? Who do we ask for jobs? These are the questions many youth ask after graduation. To help the youth with these concerns, the Labour Ministry organized a Youth Forum, ‘Gowa’, in Thimphu today. The forum connects talents to the labour market, sensitizing programmes offered by the Ministry and its partners. 

Every year, thousands of graduates hit the job market and only a few hundred become civil servants. Many are left unemployed.

As per the Labour Force Survey 2020, the youth unemployment rate stands at almost 23 per cent. It means nearly 7,000 youth are looking for jobs. The COVID-19 pandemic has left many jobless, aggravating the situation. So, the ministry felt the need to intervene with a forum like Gowa.

Labour Secretary, Tashi Wangmo said, “Through this, we would like to see the job seekers more aware of opportunities both in terms of skilling and engagements so that they make the right choices.”

To the participants, the forum allowed them to learn about programmes offered by the ministry.

Aiti Maya Bomjan, a university graduate said, “From this forum, I came to learn that there are many job opportunities, whereby I can enhance my skills.”

“Many people are not aware of the services provided by MoLHR. To mention some, I was not aware of the Ministry’s online job portal. After coming here and attending today’s session, it was very much engaging because of that one. After this program, when I go back to my friends, I can share that there is an online portal whereby you can register your unemployment status in that portal,” said Sonam Gyeltshen, another university graduate.

“I got to learn about the overseas employment situation right now and also about YELP. The Ministry of Labour is doing a great job by conducting such events and if more people had joined us today, they would have known about the ongoing issues and about how youth could get employed,” added Aditya Jogi, also a University Graduate.

The ministry introduced YELP, Youth Engagement and Livelihood Programme among others. The programme supports the livelihood of youth while engaging productively under the construction and agriculture sectors and provide a monthly stipend of Nu 5,000.

The ministry plans to organize similar forums fortnightly.

Tshering Dendup

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube