Without a proper water source, farmers worried about paddy transplantation in Trashigang

As farmers in Jamoong-Kumoong chiwog under Bartsham Gewog in Trashigang gear up to transplant paddy, the irrigation water shortage cripples them every paddy transplantation season. With no proper water source, farmers have been depending on a temporary supply for more than four decades.

Around 77 landowners cultivating paddy in around 150 acres of land use the temporary water supply on a rotational basis. And this practice, they say, does not provide enough irrigation water.

“I don’t think my paddy will grow well. The present water supply is very difficult to get, as we have to wait for the next turn. Last time I just got once. And today too, my turn came only after 10 or 11 days,” said Sonam, a farmer in Maentsang village under Bartsham Gewog.

A few of the households have completed their paddy cultivation. However, without a continuous water supply and rainfall, their paddy saplings have dried.

“Without a continuous water supply, I have left most of my land fallow while only a few are cultivated. If there is enough water, we are ready to start our transplantation anytime. I couldn’t complete all my paddy transplantation during my last turn. So I am waiting for my next turn,” said Phuntsho Choden, another farmer.

As rice is one of the main sources of income for the farmers, having to go through the water shortage has been a nightmare for farmers.

“Last year we had put up a proposal regarding the matter. And accordingly, the gewog constructed a small irrigation channel from the source to Kumoong village. It has helped us a lot. However, the source is small because of which some land remains uncultivated,” said Tenzin Phuntsho, the Jamoong-Kumoong Chiwog Tshogpa.

However, the irrigation water issue is expected to come to an end as the gewog has already identified a new water source.

“We have identified a new water source from Rallang Toed under Phongmey Gewog. We have done a rough survey and even conducted GPS, it comes to around 30 kilometres. Even the government officials visited and did the feasibility study. However, the work is still under process,” said Kezang Dawa, the Bartsham Gup.

For now, the farmers will have to continue with their struggle to transplant paddy with inadequate water until they get a new water source.

Sonam Darjay, Trashigang

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube