A year into the pandemic: the first COVID-19 case and its ripple effects

Exactly a year ago on the eve of 6th March, Bhutan recorded its first COVID-19 case, an American tourist. The 76-year-old American tourist arrived in the country with his partner from Guwahati in India on 2nd March. His partner also tested positive after two weeks. However, their guide and driver, Kinley and  Dorji Tshering tested negative although they were close contacts.

And the first medical team to handle the first-ever COVID-19 case in the country was led by Dr G P Dhakal.

The guide, Kinley along with his driver, Dorji Tshering received the two tourists at Paro international airport on 2nd March. They then travelled to Thimphu. The tourist visited the hospital after suffering from some symptoms. He suffered from a bloaty abdomen (dyspeptic symptoms) and nausea. The patient also suffered from chronic hypertension.

“The next morning, he felt better and he wanted to visit places. We then went to Punakha to witness the Domchoe. Upon reaching the bridge outside the Dzong, the tourist was sick again. So, we left him on the bridge with a camera. His partner and I went inside the Dzong. But two of us were worried about him and came back after some time. He was still on the bridge,” the guide recalled.

The tourist along with the guide and driver travelled back to Thimphu the next day, and again visited the hospital. The tourist then tested positive.

Following this, the health team led by Dr Dhakal attended the patient. Dr Dhakal shared they were not scared but apprehensive. Although the hospital has prepared well for the disease, he said they were not mentally prepared.

Initially, Dr Dhakal supported by around five other staff attended the first patient. However, around 20 staff were involved when the patient was shifted to the intensive care unit.

According to Dr Dhakal, his family was worried more than him. And he added their teamwork was the reason behind a successful treatment although the disease was new to everyone.

Meanwhile, the guide said he and his driver were afraid when the tourist tested positive. He recalled that they were very close contacts. They were quarantined for 24 days and tested frequently. They were relieved after they tested negative after 24 days. However, their family members were down looked. Even they faced a similar challenge when they went home.

“Back at home, people were sceptical about our COVID test result. Even villagers refused to work with us. They were scared,” said the guide.

“I am also a taxi driver. When passengers came to take a ride in my taxi, my friends teased and the passengers would get scared. They would then leave my taxi for another,” said the driver.

Bhutan’s first COVID-19 patient was evacuated to his country, the US on 13th March. The medical team was worried about the long journey. However, they were relieved when the patient reached there safely. Later the daughter of the patient thanked Bhutan for its immense support towards her father. The tourist himself also expressed his gratitude to Bhutan recently.

Kinley Dem/Tshering Zam

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube