Youth farm groups revive acres of fallow land, Sarpang

Many villages across the country are struggling with people leaving the lands fallow. In Chhudzergang Gewog of Sarpang, bushes and jungles are the last vestiges on the acres of once bountiful lands. However, the long-abandoned private farmlands are getting revived.

The gewog administration recently leased 112 acres of uncultivated land to three youth farming groups for mass cultivation. The private plots are on lease.

The fields are now looking green, filled with chilli plants and vegetables.

“We first discussed with landowners and agreed to give it on lease for three to five years. As per the land Act, if the lands are kept uncultivated for long, the state will seize the land. We informed the landowners about this. Moreover, when young people come forward to take up farming, we have to help them.” said Tashi Dawa, an Agriculture Extension Officer.

White Tara Farm and Tob Kyed Farm are the two groups that are growing chilli in 57 acres of land.  Druk Integrated Farm grows varieties of vegetables on 65 acres of land.

The youth group said last year’s vegetable shortage in the country due to the pandemic made them take up mass farming.

Tshering Wangmo with White Tara Farm said, “After completing class 12, we could not get employed. So, we planned to venture into farming with an aim to cater to the needs of people in 20 Dzongkhags.”

However, she is concerned about finding people to work in her field. “If they bring lunch, they demand Nu. 400. If we offer less than that, everyone refuses to come for work.” she added.

Like her, Sonam Jamtsho, a youth farmer with Tob Kyed Farm did not plan on taking up mass cultivation. He said, “I did not think of growing chilli. I thought of cultivating ginger and turmeric. But due to the COVID-19 pandemic, I decided to take up mass cultivation.”

He is also worried about Bhutanese worker’s demand for a higher wage. “I planned on providing the opportunity to our youths and drawing an agreement.  I thought of fixing salary in between Nu 9,000 and Nu 10,000 instead of Nu 15000 but our youths are not interested,”  said Sonam Jamthso.

For the villagers, the initiative helped reduce the human-wildlife conflict that has been rampant in the communities.

Kota, a village Tshogpa said, “With the farms set up alongside various border outpost since last year, lesser wild animals attack our fields. Last year, there were just two such instances while in the past, we would lose almost half of our harvest to wild animals.”

The gewog’s agriculture extension office provided the groups with free seeds, irrigation pipes, greenhouse, and mulching material and technical assistance.

Karma Wangdi, Sarpang

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube