Mass tomato cultivation in Tsirang

Besides green chillies, farmers of Sergithang Gewog in Tsirang are now venturing into mass tomato production. Following a shortage of tomatoes for a few months last year amid the pandemic, farmers are growing organic tomatoes in five acres of land.

Farmers are growing hybrid tomatoes in protective covering like greenhouses and rooftops. The tomato plants are fruiting and in a few weeks, the organic tomatoes will hit the market. Farmers planted the tomatoes in October.

“Since the climate is a little cold outside these days, we are growing tomatoes inside the rooftops and greenhouses. Some farmers bought plastics to set up rooftops and greenhouses as tall as 30-metres. The rooftop just behind me is just 10-metre tall,” said D.B Ghalley, the Agriculture Extension Officer of Sergithang Gewog.

Each greenhouse will produce a minimum of 500-600 kilograms of tomatoes. And Some farmers supplied around 60 kilograms of tomatoes to Thimphu recently.

A kilogram fetched Nu 50.

“I am growing winter tomato for the first time. I am expecting a bountiful harvest since tomatoes are growing well,” said Bir Bdr. Rai, a farmer.

“Tomato production and quality will be better inside the rooftop and greenhouses. We are expecting around two tonnes of tomatoes from five acres of land. Now farmers have acquired better idea growing winter tomatoes in greenhouses and rooftops,” said the Agriculture Extension Officer.

However, he added that the demand for organic tomatoes is low at the moment.

He said it is due to the availability of imported tomatoes in the market.

There are 15 greenhouses and rooftops in the village. The Green Climate Fund is also providing funds and technical supports to the farmers.

Pema Tshewang, Tsirang

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube