Farmers into Tengma business welcome lockdown relaxation in the gewogs, Monggar

The relaxation of lockdown comes as a huge relief for the farmers of Thridangbi under Saling Gewog in Monggar. They can now continue selling beaten corn, locally known as Tengma. The product is the main source of income for them and many other farmers in Monggar.

Dechen Lhadon has been helping her parents sell tengma by the roadside since schools in the country closed due to COVID-19 in March. The business was thriving until the nationwide lockdown was imposed on 11th August.

But as the government recently eased lockdown restrictions, Dechen was able to reopen her shop.

“Lockdown affected our business. I had to leave one hundred packets of maize products inside the shop and rats damaged some of it. However, now, with the restrictions eased, we are happy. I sold eight packets of tengma on the first day of reopening,” she said.

Tshering Yangdon is another shopkeeper delighted with the relaxation. Due to the lockdown, packets of tengma and banana chips worth over Nu 15,000 remained unsold in her shop.

“I am happy I was allowed to reopen my shop although not many customers turned up. Earlier, many vehicles travelled via this route but not anymore due to the pandemic. With my shops remaining closed for days, rats damaged the maize products. I think I will feed the spoiled ones to cattle,” Tshering shared.

Tengma business is one of the main income sources for the people of Thridangbi chiwog with each household earning more than Nu 100,000 annually. Farmers of the chiwog also grow maize twice in a year.

“We are not able to make any money by selling tengma during the lockdown. However, now that we are allowed to do business, we are happy. Our products won’t go to waste anymore,” said Dorji Zangmo from the same chiwog.

Meanwhile, it is learned that during the lockdown, the Regional Agricultural Marketing and Cooperatives (RAMC) office in Monggar in collaboration with the District Agriculture Sector supplied 700 kilograms of tengma from Tsakaling Gewog to Thimphu. An official from the RAMC said they did not receive any marketing related complaints from Saling Gewog so it was not listed. On the other hand, Saling gup claims of informing the matter to the District Agriculture Officer.

For Sonam Tshering

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube