UNDERSTANDING COVID-19 SYMPTOMS

Many people in Bhutan are still unaware and confused about the COVID-19 symptoms. The lack of clear understanding is leading to stigmatisation, rumours and often, unsavoury jokes and Internet memes.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the COVID-19 virus affects different people in different ways. COVID-19 is a respiratory disease and most infected people can develop mild to moderate symptoms and recover without requiring special treatment. The WHO says people with underlying medical conditions and those over 60 years of age are at a higher risk of developing severe symptoms, which can be fatal.

The WHO says common symptoms include fever, tiredness, and dry cough, including shortness of breath, aches and pains, and sore throat. Some people can also experience diarrhoea, nausea or runny nose.

According to the BBC, studies have suggested that there is a possibility people could be potentially infectious without even knowing they are carrying the virus. BBC’s latest reports estimate a 1% fatality rate among people infected with the virus.

With the onset of flu season in Bhutan, it is possible for people to misjudge symptoms. The Ministry of Health has advised people to make an assessment of their symptoms based on their recent contact and travel history and avail medical check-up at flu clinics set up in different locations across the country.

According to Health Minister Dechen Wangmo, there is a very less chance for someone to get infected if they did not have any contact with an infected person.

“If I did not have any contacts with people and if I stayed home and never went anywhere, did not have any guests, and stayed in my village, I think the symptoms shown would be that of the common flu. But if my son went outside for tour guiding and showed symptoms, then there is a risk,” said Lyonpo.

The Health Minister urged people to avail health services if they have cough, high body temperature and joint aches.

Tshering Dhendup

COVID 19 Information Hotline Numbers

Senior Citizens Helpline (Exclusively for 60 years and above) : 6060

For others: 2121

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter