Over 700 scouts participate in Nachung and Nazhoen camp in Samtse

Over 700 scouts from schools in Samtse took part in a five-day winter camp for Nachung and Nazhoen scouts in Tashichhoeling. The camp, which ended today, was an opportunity for young scouts to engage and learn from each other while exchanging ideas.

Themed, scouts as an agent of change, the camp saw both the Nachung and Nazhoen scouts in the same camp for the first time.

“They have sharing sessions every night. And what we have heard is that the Nachungs got to learn a few things from the Nazhoen scouts. It may be small but we are able to bring small changes in these young minds and we consider this as an objective achieved,”  Tshewang Gyeltshen, the Secretary of Samtse Dzongkhag Scouts Association, said.

Among many activities during the camp, the scouts learnt cooking without utensils.

“We studied about the stone age when we were in class five. Cooking here like this, we feel like we are back to that age. We are making omelettes on a stone slab. We heard our forefathers did the same. It’s very hard and this gives us an appreciation of how sturdy they were. We couldn’t even get the fire started,” Pemith Lepcha from Samtse LSS, said.

“The camp has benefitted me immensely. I got to know more life skills. For example, I learnt how to build relationships with other people and integrity. I also learnt how to improve myself as a person and working in a team,” Ashwan Kumar Uraon from Norbugang Central School, said.

Other activities included arts and crafts, hiking, amusement, lessons on culture, and meditation. The young scouts were also introduced to the sustainable development goals framework.

“What I learnt from the camp is that firstly, how we can be helpful to others and second, we learnt about how to do drills,” Kinley Dorji from Sengdhen LSS, said. 

“We learnt to make new things, how to respect others, and that we have to serve the King, country, and the people,” Tenzin Chogyel from Peljorling HSS, said.

The Samtse Dzongkhag Scouts Association organised the winter camp.

Sherub Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube