Pineapple cultivation picking up in Khangma, Pema Gatshel

Pineapple is becoming a popular alternative cash crop for the people of Khangma in Pema Gatshel. Today, almost all households in the village grow the fruit introduced to them about a decade ago.

Mass pineapple plantation in the village under Yurung gewog started with a single plant from Tendra’s house. Today, his pineapple orchard has expanded to an almost acre of land.

“It spread from a single plant. I don’t exactly remember from where I brought the sapling but it was mainly for personal consumption. I sell my harvest at Yurung Central School. Whenever required, I also supply pineapples to my fellow villagers. At the school, the fruit is sold for Nu 50 per piece, while for the villagers, the price is Nu 30,” Tendra said.

Looking at Tendra’s success, other villagers also started taking up pineapple cultivation.

“It’s been almost three years since I started growing pineapples. I am yet to sell the harvest as I offered it for rituals and shared some with my relatives. I am in the process of expanding my orchard hoping to make some extra income. A few of the villagers are already making money from pineapples,” Sangay Choden said.

The other encouraging factor, according to the farmers, is the farm road connectivity which made access to market convenient. They say growing pineapple also requires less hard work.

As farmers of Khangma plan to upscale the production, support has also come in from the district agriculture sector. The office provided them with pineapple saplings.

Thinley Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube