Hazelnut growers in Lumang expecting better yield this year

Some farmers in Trashigang are expecting a good hazelnut production this year, with their hazelnut nut trees showing signs of a good yield. Until now, people have been complaining about trees bearing no fruits even after many years.

55-year-old Chojay Wangdi from Lumang Gewog is one of many hazelnut growers. It has been almost eight years since he planted over 450 hazelnut trees.

“The hazelnut trees did not bear any fruit and I have lost all hope and decided not to plant it anymore. But since last year a few trees started bearing fruits, and this year about two-third of the trees started bearing fruits, which made me very happy. Therefore I have put an application to plant hazelnut in one acre.”

Like Chojay, there are also some farmers, who are seeing changes in their hazelnut trees. Farmers said good orchard management and determination has helped their hazelnut trees to bear fruits. It will take any few months for the fruits to be ready for harvest.

“Since the hazelnut is new to Bhutan, they were not sure at what stage it bears fruit. The trees grew big and but they did not bear any fruits. So the officials came did pruning to get enough sunlight, and the trees started bearing fruits,” Chojay Wangdi said.

“I have no plans for additional plantation but will be taking care of the existing ones. I have more than one thousand hazelnut trees. Before, without bearing fruits for so many years, we were upset. But last year few trees started bearing fruits. And with more trees bearing fruits, we are happy,” Tashi Wangdi said.

Farmers in the east ventured into hazelnut cultivation in hope to earn some extra cash.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube