Youth engagement programme, Punakha

The Punakha Dzongkhag Education Sector conducted a weeklong Youth Engagement Programme during this summer vacation to engage students who need special cares in their school.268 students from nine schools in Punakha participated in the programme. 

They are mostly from divorced parents who are emotionally disturbed affecting their studies.

The programme was conducted to impart a sense of human value for their better future and other relevant life skill knowledge to the students basically to gain confidence and become competent students in future like others in the school. They were introduced to skilled personnel from different organisations. They shared their experiences with the participants ranging from classes seven to twelve.

According to one of the internal research reports, some of these students are found to be academically poor, reluctant to go home during breaks because of not having a proper shelter, welcoming home and basic meals for them. The research found that students experience less parental care and support with no proper guidance and values, which gradually lead them towards youth-related issues.

Therefore, this programme was primarily focused to create an opportunity for them to make their summer vacation useful by learning and interacting with different people. Students have learned about life skills, knowing and believing in self, Academic Study and Strategies, Conflict of Law, Counseling and Youth Behavior, Rangluk Driklam Namzha and other valuable talks in the weeklong camp.

“We face a lot of problems in terms of financial and rations because of a single parent at home. Likewise, I get stressed by wondering about how to help my parent back at home. I always wonder about the situation of my parent while studying in school. I don’t even remember what we learned in the class. Therefore, I cannot focus on study due to all these emotional feelings,” shared Euthra Tashi Lhazin, a Student of Punakha Central School.

“I can’t concentrate on my studies when suddenly I see other’s parents coming to the school on weekends and meeting with their children happily. I am getting emotionally disturbed by thinking that how much I would be happy if my parents come to meet me in school too,” Phurba Wangchuk, a Student of Dechentsemo Central School, shares.

“In other cases, they usually feel sad because of not having anyone to motivate them, support them or give advice to them. But in my case, I have a strong background. My mother’s parents, they usually support me a lot. And whenever there is any programme in the school, they attend the event without fail,” said Tshering Yangchen Dorji, also from the same school.

“There are many obstacles in one’s life, but all we need is a little bit of courage. With that courage, we can face any challenges in our life. So, I would like to convey the message that though our families are not that much supportive, we need to have the courage to stand on our own feet and we need to take every situation in a positive way,” added Kinley Wangmo, a Student of Khuruthang Middle Secondary School.

According to the dzongkhag education sector, these students will be an ambassador in their respective schools hereafter and help other students who are undergoing the same situation in their schools. Officials say this is a high time for these youth to receive special supports and cares by giving them counselling and keeping them engaged meaningfully as they stand on the juncture of their future.

“We are fully involved in such activities in our school including our School Principal. We firstly sort out the students those who need extra cares in the school. After that, we give them extra cares in terms of academic and moral supports, and also provide them with all the necessary basic needs in the school even by collecting contributions from others,” Pem Bidha, a teacher at Lobesa Lower Secondary School, Punakha, said.

“In our school, we have eight teachers and all the teachers including myself adopted around five students each. So, we concentrate and focus more on their studies and take remedial classes. And whatever the activities are being carried out in the school, we give special attention to them without knowing by others,” Kuenzang Wangchuk the Principal for Laptsakha Primary School.

This is the first programme of its kind conducted in Punakha Dzongkhag as well as in the nation. It was carried out based on the findings of research conducted by the Dzongkhag education sector three years ago. Findings reveal because of social stigma from their parent’s behaviour and also due to lesser moral values and ethics, students are unable to control their emotions in schools.

“It doesn’t mean that these students are incompetent. They have their own potential to become the best person in their future if they are being taken cared for and guide them today. I felt that this programme would at least help about fifty per cent of them to come out from the unproductive activities that they are involved in today,”  Rinchen Samdrup, Dy. Chief, Dzongkhag Education Officer, said.

Meanwhile, they have also carried out some research during the event and will move forward according to its finding in future. The Punakha Dzongkhag has currently almost seven thousand students, out of which more than two thousand five hundred are from a broken family.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube