Sham Sha Doley- a dying Zhungdra

[media id=48 width=345 height=265]

The introduction of rigsar or modern songs and its growing popularity in the country is taking its toll on the traditional songs. Songs, which are not so popular, but sung and performed in the villages for ages are the most affected.  “Sham Sha Doley”, a Zhungdra, unique to only Dagana Dzongkag is undergoing a similar fate. Unlike Wang Zhey, Wochu pai Zhay, or Kurutoed Pai Alo, not many people have heard of ‘Sham Sha Doley’. This ancient song is fast disappearing even before it is heard or seen by others.

The people of Dagana or the Dagaps claim that the song was composed by Zhabdrung Jigmi Chogyal, the fifth mind reincarnation of Zhabdrung in the 19th century. The song, therefore, is considered vary sacred.

“The song was sung after Zhabdrung Jigme Chogyal’s visit to the Dzongkhag. The lyric of the song was composed by Zhabdrung himself and is very sacred,” says Sonam Dorj, an elderly local resident.

Not many people are, however, aware of the song and its significance to their community. People, including many village elders, have never heard of the song. Even if they wanted to hear it now, there are not many singers who can sing the song. The youth on the other hand are neither interested nor willing to learn the song. All they are interested is in the Rigsar songs.

Today, the song is sung only in Khebisa Gewog. The song is performed on rare occasions like important rituals, Tshechus and when important officials visit their village.

In Khebisa Gewog only one woman can sing the song today. Since the song can be sung by only few women, it is believed that a woman has to have a prophecy to sing the song. If this is true, then the prophecy today is with Aum Sonam Choden. Only she can sing but others can perform under her guidance. She sang the song for the Coronation of His Majesty the Fifth Druk Gyalpo.

“I learned the song from the village elders many years back. They taught me the song to sing during important rituals and when officials visit our village. I also taught the song to RAPA students,” remembers Aum Sonam Choden.

She is, however, worried. According to her, the young girls in her village are not interested in learning the song. And her only worry is that the song might disappear from her village. “I try to teach the ancient song to the young girls but they are not interested at all. My only worry is that the song might disappear forever.”

Aum Sonam Choden taught the song to the Dzongkhag dancers in the past but they failed to learn the song. According to the dancers the song is hard to learn. The complex lyric of the song, where only few people can explain its meaning, is further discouraging the youth from learning the song. Aum Sonam Choden herself does not know the meaning of the song. However, despite all the odds, few of them are optimistic to learn.

“I think I can learn the song. I heard it in the past but I could not learn it. I found the song very interesting,” says Ugyen Zangmo, a Dzongkhag Dancer.

The song is believed to have first performed in Sham-Doley village under Tashiding Gewog. Women from the neighboring villages is said to have performed the song in front of the Zhabdrung Jigmi Chogyal more than two hundreds ago.

“We have heard the song but don’t know what it means. But the song is said to have first performed here by the Dagapzams,” claims Karma Dechen Chogyal, one of the local residents.

The Dolep, where the song was first performed can be still seen today. The name of the village is said to have derived from this stone. But like the song itself, even people living near the Dolep does not know about its existence.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube