Rinchen HSS sets up cradle room for female teachers to breastfeed babies

Female teachers at Rinchen Higher Secondary School (RHSS) in Thimphu will no longer have to rush home to breastfeed their babies during one-hour flexi time. The school has recently opened a cradle or lactation room for them to breastfeed their little ones.

This is the first time a school has come up with such an initiative. Tshering Delma, a teacher said she now feels like “a huge burden is off her shoulder.” Otherwise, she added it was tiresome going home, breastfeed her baby, and get back to school and resume teaching.

“It is so convenient now. I can bring my baby here and keep in the cradle room. I can feed my baby whenever I get free time.” Like Tshering, an accountant named Duptho Zangmo is a breastfeeding mother. She said having a dedicated room for breastfeeding babies at school has helped her to bond more with the baby, adding: “Professionally too, I can work better now.”

Unlike government and some corporate offices, the school doesn’t grant six months maternity leave. So, the cradle room was set up to strengthen exclusive breastfeeding practices.

“I have seen female teachers are happier now. They bring their babies here and their productivity has enhanced much better than what it used to be before,” said the Principal of Rinchen HSS, Tshering Dorji.

According to Bhutan Living Standards Survey Report 2017, the number of births per woman is less than two. However, the principal views such programmes can influence working couples to raise children.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube