SJ’s Jigme Wangchuk wins for third time by big margin

The people of Samdrup Jongkhar have yet again chosen incumbent Jigme Wangchuk to represent them in the National Council. This is his third consecutive win, which makes him the longest serving member in the House of Review.

He is the only member who has been elected to serve for the third successive term.

Speaking to BBS on the phone, 38-year-old NC elect Jigme Wangchuk attributed the win to trust and faith that voters in his dzongkhag have in him.

“I think people voted for me solely because of my past 10-year experience,” he said.

“I think they know my capabilities and ways of working with the people. I did not do anything extraordinary to win this election.”

It was a landslide victory for Jigme Wangchuk.

He secured a total of 4,101 votes- 2,797 EMV votes and 1,304 postal ballot votes. That’s 1,112 votes more from Kelzang Phuntsho who secured the second highest votes and 1,427 votes more from Tsheltrim Dukar who received the third highest vote of 2,674.

The win was no surprise for Jigme Wangchuk. “I was confident. Because of more candidates, I was sure I would get certain share of votes from every gewog.”

A total of six candidates, including a woman, contested for a seat in the National Council from Samdrup Jongkhar this time.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube