Some villagers breathe life into their once abandoned homes

While some villages across the country grapple with the increase in number of Gungtongs or absentee households, for Yangnyer Gewog in Trashigang, the situation seems to be the opposite.

Part of those people who left their homes a few years ago are now back. Cheten Dema, 30 is one of them. It has been four years since she returned to her home in Daliphangma. She has now found her footing, and considering the developments here village has witnessed in recent times, leaving again for another place seems out of question.

“I left my house as Gungtong for two years. But after the village was connected with road and electricity, I thought it would be wise decision to come back. Now there is no human-wildlife conflict too,” told Cheten to BBS News.

Like here, of the 12 gungtongs in Daliphangma a few years ago, today there are only two. “I decided to return thinking my house might turn into ruins if it is left as Gungtong. For an uneducated person like me, it is better to live in the village,” said Tendrel Zangmo, who also came back to her village.

For gewog administration, it is easier to plan developmental activities when there are no Gungtongs. “When there are Gungtongs, it is difficult to carry out any kind of collections. There are no people turning up for village meetings. This affectsin disseminating information and creating awareness on various issues,” said the Mangmi of Yangnyer Gewog, Tshewang Gyeltshen, adding that earlier due to its remoteness, the gewog had more number of absentee households.

For now, there are about 30 Gungtongs in the gewog.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube