Queen Mother advocates people of Thimphu on public health matters

Her Majesty the Queen Mother Sangay Choden Wangchuck met with over 2300 people from eight gewogs of Thimphu, today.

Today was the third day of Her Majesty’s high-level advocacy tour- the initiative of Her Majesty to carry out widespread awareness programme on public health and social issues which are highly prevalent in the country.

Addressing to the gathering, Her Majesty the Queen Mother said apart from increasing number of HIV/AIDS cases in the country, mental health has also become a growing concern.

“With the change in time and country’s economy, the youth are facing challenges related to mental health and adolescent related issues. Such as getting pregnant at an early age, substance abuse, fighting amongst the friends and mental health issues are all affecting our youths immensely,” said Her Majesty, adding that the number of suicide cases is on the rise.

People were also educated on HIV/AIDS and how a person living with the disease faces social stigma and discrimination. “After revealing my HIV status in public in 2013, people avoided me and my friends. I would like to request the public not to discriminate us and treat us same like those who are not infected,” narrated Tshering Choden, the Representative of Lhak-Sam to the gathering.

Including Thimphu, the Queen Mother has completed advocacy tour in 19 districts so far. Tomorrow, the Queen Mother will meet with the members of entertainment organisations.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube