Impressive turnout of women for Pap Smear test in Tsirang

In Tsirang, 92 per cent of women within the age bracket of 20-65 years have undergone Pap Smear screening during the month-long awareness campaign which ended recently.

The awareness campaign emphasised on importance of doing Pap Smear test which is a screening procedure for cervical cancer. It tests to detect potentially pre-cancerous and cancerous processes in the cervix.

According to health officials, regular sensitisation programmes have helped people to understand better about ramification from cervical cancer, and that doing Pap Smear test is critical part of women’s preventive healthcare.

“Previously, the number of women doing Pap test was very less and  reasons were due to hesitation since the test involves examining the most private part of women’s body,” said the District Health Officer, Kinley, adding that the scenario is entirely different this time.

Some women shared that after attending the awareness campaign, they realised being reluctant to do the test would only make them uncertain if they are free of cervical cancer or otherwise.

“I was uncomfortable to undergo the screening at first. But later my husband encouraged me to do it. I am glad I have done the test. The result showed that I don’t suffer from cervical cancer or other cervix related complications,” said one of the women named Ugyen Lhamo.

Women got the results on the same day of the test as a cytologist was present during the awareness campaign.

Besides Pap test, people were screened for Non-Communicable-Diseases (heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes and chronic lung disease) for early detection.

“It is very important that we detect diseases at early stage. Otherwise, it is expensive to treat patients at the last stage or third degree stage. The chances of survival rate are also slim at these stages,” said the Senior District Health Officer, Tashi Dawa.

Cervical cancer is one of the leading causes of death of Bhutanese women. Therefore, every year, health officials make a point to reach out to all the women who are married or sexually active to come forward for the Pap Smear test or screening.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube