Taxi users in Thimphu face higher fares despite revision

The Road Safety and Transport Authority (RSTA) implemented the revised taxi fares across the country beginning this month. However, despite the revision, taxi drivers in Thimphu are still ferrying passengers with the previous rate.

As per the revised fare chart, one has to pay Nu 32 to take a taxi ride from Babesa to main Thimphu town. Earlier it was Nu 40. But BBS learned that taxi drivers are still charging the old fares.

“Since the fuel prices have gone down, I also heard the taxi fare has decreased.  I shared the same thing to the taxi driver but they said it is difficult to survive with low fare,” said one of the passengers, Karan Bir Urao.

A few others echoed similar views. “I was looking for a cab while heading Chhubachu from the hospital, the driver told me the fare is Nu 80. I told him I will pay Nu 40 but he denied,” said Lengo.

RSTA officials said the fare was revised by taking into considerations the drop in the fuel price and other operational costs such as driver’s salary, insurance and maintenance cost. However, taxi drivers said they were unaware of the new fare rule. They also said, they are not happy with the revise rate which will affect their business.

“People feel we should decrease the fare since the price of fuel has dropped. But, it is not fair. Every month, we spent a hell lot of money doing maintenance of the taxi,” said one of the taxi drivers, Rinzin Chophel. “Fuel price fluctuates now and then and it is unreasonable to charge fare as and when price of fuel decreases.”

But RSTA is adamant about their decision. They said they will strictly monitor whethere the revised taxi fare rule has been followed by the cabbies or not.

“If the taxi operators and the passenger bus operators do not follow the revised fares, then passengers can lodge the written complaints to the RSTA and we will take actions accordingly,” said Karma Pemba, the Chief Transport Officer of RSTA.

RSTA officials also said, if drivers are found charging more than the prescribed fare, they will be asked to refund the extra amount to the passengers and levy fine of Nu 1000 per incident. The taxi fare assessment is done every six months.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube