Subject based classrooms help improve students’ learning ability

The introduction of subject based classrooms in Jigme Losel Primary School in Thimphu has significantly improved students’ learning. This is as per the finding of six months of action research that the school undertook under the Sherig Endowment Fund.

The school has chosen subject based classrooms as their research topic. According to the research, students participate more in their learning, thereby encouraging student-centered learning.

When BBS visited mathematics classroom today, it was filled with all the required materials needed for the subject. And the interesting thing to notice was that students were swapping classrooms based on subjects. Such tactics of learning give students a break to refresh themselves for the next lesson. This type of classroom is an easier environment for teachers also because the appropriate teaching materials are right there in the classroom.

Through the action research which is first of its kind in the country, the school has been able to validate the findings of the ‘subject based classrooms’ with evidence and data. The subject based classrooms was implemented in 2010.

“We thought our children might learn better with this sort of psycho-social ambience in the classroom. And through such initiative, we really wanted to see changes,” said Choki Dukpa, Principal of Jigme Losel Primary School. “During our time, we were asked to sit and listen to teachers, so we tried out new method of teaching and it proved successful.”

Meanwhile, with the successful completion of the research, it is has already given teachers the confidence to bring about positive improvement in their teaching skills.

“I have come to learn that action research is a detailed study and it is purely based on data. So this research has helped me with challenges that I face and strengths that I have,” said Deki Gyalmo, a teacher of Jigme Losel Primary School.

She added, “based on our shortcomings and strength, it enriches our confidence in teaching.”

Following the success of the first research, the school has now undertaken research on another subject. Sherig Endowment Fund was launched last year to enhance the quality of teaching and learning through promotion of research among schools.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube