Making altar, an alternate source of income for Kengkhar farmers

Other than agricultural works, people of Tongla Goenpa in Kengkhar Gewog, Monggar are also engaged in altar (Choesham) making business. Today, business has become lucrative. Thanks to Tarayana Foundation which helped the altar makers to work in group in 2011, to enhance the art in the locality.

One of the members in Choesham Tshogpa is 52-year-old Rinzin Dorji. He is a father of six and altar making business is his main source of income to support his family. He learned the skill at the age of 44. He credits his late friend, an altar maker for helping him acquire the skill. However, he strived to work harder after joining the group. Currently, it has 10 members.

“Being a farmer, I have to do farm works during the farming season. However, I tried to finish the work before time by hiring the labourers. After that, I devote all my time on making altars,” said Rinzin Dorji.

He earns over Nu 17,000 by selling a Choesam and it takes him not more than two weeks to complete one altar. Tarayana Foundation supports the group to procure raw materials and find markets to sell the products.

Unlike initial days of his business, today, Rinzin receives orders from all over the country.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube