Disaster reduction day marked with students

Children are among the groups that are considered vulnerable during disasters. Recognizing this, the Department of Disaster Management chose school children as the target group for disaster awareness for this year’s International Day for Reduction of Disaster.

The day was marked yesterday with the students in Phuentshogling on the theme- Home Safe Home.

“Besides women and physically challenged people, children are more vulnerable during disasters,” said Jigme Chhogyal, Sr. Program Officer with the Department of Disaster Management.

“The event is organized mainly to create awareness so that these children take back the knowledge and share it with their parents and family members. So, that way, awareness is increased at all levels.”

A quiz competition on disaster management was among the key activities for the day. “We leant many new things about disaster today,” said Sonam Norbu, a student of Phuentshogling Higher Secondary School.

“I will share all these with my friends, family members and relatives.”

“We never know when disasters would hit us,” said Tshering Lhamo, a student of Norbu Academy. “Therefore, we have to be alert. I got to learn many things and it’s important that we share these with others.”

The students also exhibited school infrastructure models developed with fund of  twenty thousand ngultrum provided by the Department of Disaster Management to all participating schools.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube