Chimi Wangmo sets new record in high jump

Chimi Wangmo of Lhuentse Higher Secondary School has set a new national record in girl’s high jump at the ongoing 14th National School Athletes meet in the capital today.

With 1.38 metres, she beat the previous record set by Dawa Pelden of Yangchenphu Higher Secondary School at 1.36 metres.

“I am from a remote district and winning the national level competition makes me more happier,” said Chimi who never thought that she will one day break the national record. The success, she said, is mainly because of the games classes that her school conducts every Saturday.

“I did not have any separate trainings. The games classes are the only time where we played and learned.”

The National School Athletics Meet provides a platform for the Bhutan Amateur Athletic Federation to select potential students as national athletes to represent the country at the regional and international levels.  The annual meet organized by the department of youth and sports will end this Sunday.

Around 400 students from schools across the country are taking part in the event.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube