Tennis gaining popularity at grassroots level

Tennis, when introduced in the country, was viewed and played more as an elite game. But today, more than four decades since, the sport has picked up among the grassroots level as well.

The Bhutan Tennis Federation attributes this to its mini-tennis programmes, which now, is gaining popularity.

The Federation started the mini-tennis programme in 1997 with 12 primary schools of Thimphu. Today, the number has doubled and even stretched to three other dzongkhags of Paro, Phuentshogling and Wangdue Phodrang.

The programme focuses on the age group of 6 to 12 years. The tennis federation conducts coaching camps during the summer and winter holidays.

Tandin Wangmo Dorji, 15, one of the tennis players who took part in the mini-tennis programme said the coaching benefited her a lot. “It kept me physically, mentally and spiritually sound,” said Tandin adding that they have gained exposure and experience to play with better players.

She is now part of the Under-16 national tennis team.

Bhutan Tennis Federation’s Head Coach, Tshering Namgay, said the Federation is doing well in the region. “We have achieved quite a lot and made tennis a sports for all and lot of children are involved,” he said.

“With the players that are coming up and also the enthusiasm for this sport, I think it will move to greater heights in the years to come.”

Apart from participation at the grass-roots level, the number of tennis tournaments in the country has also increased. The Federation organizes 4 to 5 tournaments annually which sees participation from players outside the country as well.

“But I think we will still need some highly qualified coaches to take up this profession.” This according to the Head Coach  would take the game to next level.

The Bhutan Tennis Federation was constituted under the Bhutan Olympic Committee in 1983.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube