English | Dzongkha Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Samtse faces cooking gas shortage

Nov 24, 2011

A long line of people waited in the semi-darkness of the Bhutan Oil Distributors office in Samtse talking to each other. From their tone, it was apparent, they were not too happy. As a matter of fact, they were not.

They have been coming here almost every day for over two weeks to refill their LPG cooking gas cylinders with no luck.

The Bhutan Oil Distributors had run out of stock of cooking gas.

As a solitary truck loaded high with refilled LPG cooking gas arrived, the people rushed forward worried the stock would run out again.

The temporary shortage had affected the hoteliers the most.

“I own a small hotel in the town. Every time I came to fill my cylinders, it was always out of stock. Sometimes we had to go to Phuentsholing,” said Ugyenla.

“I came here thrice to change my LPG gas cylinders but it was out of stock. It is very difficult for us to come all the way from Sibsu.”

The BOD manager blamed the shortage on the quota issued by trade department which he said is not enough for the growing population.

The trade department had reduced the quota for Samtse from about 1,000 gas cylinders per month to 750 from this month.

Leave a Reply

nine − = 6

Copyright © 2017 BBSC.