Job seekers lodge complaint against Lama Consultancy for allegedly deceiving them

job-seekers-lodge-complaint-against-lama-consultancy-for-allegedly-deceiving-them
Labour Ministry

Eleven job seekers have lodged a complaint with the labour ministry against Lama Overseas Consultancy for allegedly deceiving them with jobs in the United Kingdom. They are also suing the agency.

The Lama Youth Overseas Employment agency collected a visa guarantor fee of Nu 100,000 each from 36 job seekers promising them employment with Mostell Sea Food Company in the United Kingdom.

The agency had approached the ministry before collecting the amount but the ministry had rejected the collection of fees.

Labour ministry said collection fees were a breach of overseas employment regulation. The regulation states no other charges in whatever form or manner or purpose, shall be imposed on and be paid by the worker without prior approval of the administration.

The ministry then had terminated the agency’s license.

The Director General of Department of Employment with the labour ministry, Sherab Tenzin said the agency had collection collected money from a large number of people.

“…The case is very serious and so we have taken the final measure of terminating the license and the agent will no longer be allowed to function or operate as a recruitment or placement agency.”

He said termination of the license is the only action they can take.

“The other action is dependent on our legal system, our judiciary. So I hope the verdict will be swift and stringent so that others don’t think about attempting it.”

The job seekers had deposited the money without the knowledge of the ministry.

“The ministry issued a letter to the agent stating they are not allowed to collect money from the candidates. But when he met us, he lied to us.

He said that the agency has received approval from the ministry to collect money from the candidates. After collecting the money, they asked us not to mention that at the labour ministry. If we do, then the agent said that he will take our name off the list,” said one of the job seekers.

He said they waited for months but their visas never came.

They approached the British Honorary Consul to Bhutan, Michael Rutland.

“I immediately in front of them, on my mobile phone, I telephoned this company, talked to the head of human resources who told me quite clearly that these jobs which appeared on the internet were a complete scam.”

The job seekers then asked the agent to refund the money. Despite giving time, the agency failed to refund the money.

However, the son of the consultancy’s proprietor, Sangay Nidup denied duping anyone. In fact he said they were deceived by the agents in the UK.

He said 75 percent of the money was transferred to the agents in the UK to process the visa. The agent has already refunded certain amount to some of the job seekers.

“I was very unhappy to hear that the consultancy dealing with this has charged each of these people Nu 100,000 and the young people weren’t clear about what they paid the amount for. They thought it had something to do with visas but I assure you two things. First of all, nobody else can apply for your visa for you. Secondly UK visa does not cost Nu 100,000,” said Michael Rutland.

When the ministry was informed of the issue, the agent was given 15 to pay the dues failing which the case was forwarded to district court.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube