Young man saves the day

young-man-saves-the-dayFrom many who helped contain the fire in Monggar town, last month, a young man emerged as the brave one.

An excavator operator, Jigme Dorji, 21, demolish a one-story house, which proved vital in creating a firebreak, stopping the fire from engulfing the entire town.

The house had caught fire partially. It could have easily spread to other houses had Jigme not responded swiftly.

Amidst the series of LPG cylinders bursting in nearby houses, Jigme, along with his excavator charged on bringing down the house in the nick of time.

“As soon as I came to know there wasn’t any gas cylinder in the house, I began demolishing,” said the excavator operator who works for Gongphel Construction.

His main fear was the excavator which was rapidly heating up because of the fire’s intensity.

“I thought the hydraulic pipes, which are located near the bucket of an excavator, would burst. I was worried it might also harm other people nearby.”

Jigme continued to work on the house even as he poured water on to cool his machine down.

He was able to demolish the house within half an hour, much to the relief of the residents.

“While other people were frantic, the driver did not fear for his life. He tried as much as he could by dismantling the house successfully,” said a resident, Norchu Dhendup.

His Royal Highness Gyaltshab Jigme Dorji Wangchuck personally met him and his team.

They were rewarded for their valiant effort.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube