English | Dzongkha Friday, November 24, 2017

Demand for skilled labourers increases

Jul 28, 2011

The government’s decision to restrict the number of expatriate labourers that small businesses were allowed to employ has created a huge demand for skilled and semi-labourers.

In the past, hoteliers, workshops, shops, furniture houses and other enterprises were allowed to employ as many expatriate labourers as they require.

The new rule was implemented to create job opportunities for the ever increasing number of Bhutanese youth. It has also created an acute shortage of skilled and semi-skilled labourers.

In Sarpang, furniture houses and wood based businesses are suffering from a severe shortage of skilled labourers like carpenters, designers, and upholsterers.

There are 14 furniture houses registered with the Regional Trade and Industries in Sarpang dzongkhag. Tashi Wangmo owns one of them.

“I applied to the ministry of labour and human resources for eight skilled foreign labourers but I was given approval for only two. I am having a difficult time delivering the goods on time. It is affecting my business.”

But she is optimistic. The Sershong Vocational Training Institute in Sarpang is conducting training on making upholstery and designing.

“I visited the institute and saw the sofas produced by the trainees. I am willing to recruit two to three graduates.”

The two year upholstery and designing course was introduced last year. The trainees are happy with the growing demand.

Tshering Choden, a trainee, enjoys making sofas and cushions. Their preference however remains a government job.

Nirmala, another trainee, said “if there is vacant post in civil service, I will join for a few years but later I will resign and open my own furniture house.”

The Sershong Vocational Training Institute also provides various vocational courses including electrical house wiring, plumbing, and masonry.

Leave a Reply

− four = 0

Copyright © 2017 BBSC.