A portrait of an everyday hero

Norzang-3Jigme Norzang, 37, was hailed a hero, during the International Anti-Corruption celebration yesterday, for refusing numerous bribes, when he manned Tanalum check post.

Tanalum is the main entry check post along Thimphu-Phuentshogling Highway.

A father of three, Jigme Norzang, in his capacity as a policeman, had kept a close watch on the check post over a decade, starting 2002.

Norzang, who is from Samdup Jongkhar, said he was offered bribe on a regular basis, to let in contraband substances and people without proper passes, among others.

“Once I was offered Nu 40, 000,” he said. Norzang had immediately reported it to his superior, as always.

Jigme Norzang had just turned 18 when he joined the police force in 1996. He wanted to study but had to drop out of school after eighth standard because of financial constraints. He is the second youngest of seven siblings.
“I was keen to join police force and I did,” said Norzang over the phone.

Ever since his first posting in Phuentshogling Border Gate, Jigme Norzang has lived by the book. “It is my commitment to serve my King and country,” Norzang said.

For a man, with a family, to survive on mere Nu 5000 as a monthly salary then, many say, did not come easy.
“The greatest bequeath that you hand over to your children is not the building, land and wealth that you have amass, out of the spoils of the corruption,” said the economic affairs minister, while recognizing Norzang’s contribution in Phuentshogling, yesterday.

Lyonpo said the greatest bequeath are the parents themselves, who have lived lives of self-respect and have been intolerant of corruptions. “That is the message I receive from him,” said the minister referring to Norzang, who now works as a personal security officer of Lyonpo.

His Majesty the King has also granted Jigme Norzang several gifts of appreciation on several occasions for his outstanding integrity while carrying out his work.

Top Stories

Related Stories

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube