English | Dzongkha Sunday, December 17, 2017

Hospitals short of medicines

Jun 13, 2011

Patients visiting the national referral hospital have one common complaint. They can’t get the medicines prescribed by the doctors.

While most of the medicines are available at the hospital’s dispensary, some are not. The patients are told to buy them but the medicines are also not available in any of the medical shops.

“I got some of the medicines from the hospital. I am asked to buy some but they are not available,” said one patient.

“I have visited several medical shops but the medicines are not available,” said another.

The problem is not confined to the national referral hospital in Thimphu. Hospitals across the country are short of 87 different drugs.

Most of these medicines are also not easily available in the medical shops because they have not been registered with the Drug Regulatory Authority.

Medical shop owners say it is difficult to register every medicine they require because the procedure is cumbersome.

According to a senior drug regulatory officer it has been made mandatory for medical shops to register the medicines they want to import with the authority to ensure their quality and safety.

“We buy all the medicines from other countries. There are chances of fake medicines and low quality medicines coming into the country.”

He said the shortage of medicines at the national referral hospital is because of a change in the procurement system. The drugs are expected to arrive by the end of this week, he assured.

Leave a Reply

9 − = two

Copyright © 2017 BBSC.