SMC to start coal mining in SJ

CoalMining-SJ- The State Mining Corporation (SMC), a subsidiary of Druk Holding and Investments, may start extracting coal in Phuentshogthang Chiwog in Samdrup Jongkhar by October this year. The geological investigation of the site has confirmed sub-bituminous coal, which is an average quality coal. It has also confirmed that approximately over 90,000 truckloads of coal can be mined for 10 years.

The Chief Executive, Kinzang Norbu, said a presentation would be made to the National Environment Commission in August for approval.

“The geological investigation is complete and has been submitted to the department of geology and mines for approval,” he said, adding that the corporation has also completed our final mine feasibility study.

“Today we are in the process of carrying out the environment impact assessment, which after completion will be submitted to NEC for approval, after that, we may start extraction of coal by October this year,” he added.

The Corporation has been able to get clearance at the gewog and dzongkhag level. Around 32 households of Phuentshogthang chiwog has provided their no objection for the mine.

“We received all the public clearance, so during gewog meeting, thinking that it would benefit the locals, we approved the plan. Dzongkhag Tshogdu also approved the proposal,” said Sangay Wangdi, the Gup of Phuentshogthang Gewog.

Meanwhile, local residents are happy that it would bring economic opportunities in their

“Mining will bring development activities in our village. They will maintain our roads, they will also employ our children so we are happy,” said Khara Nanderi, a local resident.

The coal from the mine will be first supplied to the two cement plants, Dungsam and Penden. The surplus would be exported. The mine is expected to employ over 100 Bhutanese.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube