Three make their HIV status public

Three make their HIV status public-
(Left-Right: Namgay Tshering, Tashi Dema and Khotsa)

Three more individuals have decided to make their HIV status public in a large gathering at the Gelegphu public ground while observing the World AIDS Day, today.

Namgay Tshering from Punakha was diagnosed with HIV positive in 2010. He said it was revealed during a routine blood test.

However, he was told he could have been living with HIV positive since past six years.

“…I want people to know about it, people who might be like me who are scared and don’t go for treatment.”

Namgay Tshering hopes his stance would encourage people to come out and seek help.

A mother of two, Tashi Dema from Zhemgang also wanted to make her status known. “I was a little scared. I don’t know what to say or what people will think. No one knows about my condition right now, that’s why I decided to come out.”

Both of Tashi’s children are HIV negative. Tashi found out she had HIV in 2006. She was four months pregnant at that time.

Khotsa found out that he had HIV in 2010. He has three children. All of them are HIV negative. Khotsa and his wife are living with HIV. “I was very happy that I came out with my condition because I can help people by giving them advice.”

The three decided to take the big step so to be able to encourage and advice people living with HIV Positive.

It is estimated that there are 1,100 people living with HIV in Bhutan. Only 402 have been diagnosed.

It is said that a person, who doesn’t know that they have HIV, has the potential to infect five people a year.

Top Stories

Related Stories

2 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube