Mother detained for abandoning new born

Mother detained for abandoning new bornPolice in Trashigang apprehended the woman who abandoned a newborn baby boy on Wednesday near Trashigang town. She was apprehended today morning. The woman has confessed to the crime.

On Wednesday morning, at around 11:30 AM, a man found a newborn baby boy abandoned in a bush, few metres away from Trashigang town towards Rangjung. The man was on his way to relieve himself, when he found the baby. He then immediately informed a shopkeeper nearby.

Ugyen Wangchuk, the shopkeeper who immediately took the baby to the hospital, said he found the baby with the umbilical cord.

Newborn recovering

According to the hospital staff, the baby was covered with mud, when he was brought to the hospital. The baby was kept under observation for a day in an incubator. Health officials said the baby is currently in stable condition.

A godsend

Meanwhile Ugyen Wangchuk said, he will adopt the baby.

He said, “I have already received more than 20 calls from everywhere and also from Thimphu, for child adoption. They asked me to give the baby to them for adoption if I don’t want him. But I refused saying the baby is like a godsend for us.”

Mother in custody

Police said the mother will be dealt according to the Law. Police are still questioning the woman on why she abandoned the baby.

According to section 218 of the Penal Code of Bhutan a person who abandons an infant or small child will be liable for a maximum of three-year imprisonment and minimum of one-year imprisonment.

Top Stories

Related Stories

8 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube